Using the images
The images on this website are provided as low resolution (600×800) JPG files. These are provided free of charge for your use under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDericatives (CC BY-NC-ND) copyright license, version 4.0
High resolution images are also available on application.
This work by Migraine Action is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
This license allows you to download the images and share them with others (e.g. in teaching, private research, or medical training) as long as you credit Migraine Action, but you must not change the images in any way, or use them commercially (including by not for profit or charitable organisations).
For more information about Creative Commons licenses, please visit Creative Commons.
In 2018 the art collection was acquired by the Wellcome Library. For all other uses of the art collection in the future, please contact the Wellcome Library.
Artist anonymity and artwork titles
The majority of artists did not give a title to their entries to the Migraine Art Competitions. Where there was a title or a caption to the image, we have included this e.g. ‘Why Me?’.
All works of art have been anonymised for the purpose of the website. While artists did agree that by submitting their artworks, the charity (then the British Migraine Association) gained the right to use the images, this did not include disclosing names. Given that these images represent aspects of personal medical histories, it was not appropriate to release artists’ names into the public domain. Where applicable, we have indicated on the right hand side where a person has submitted multiple items, or has a family relationship with another entrant.
If you are the artist of any of these pieces and would like to discuss their use, please contact Migraine Action – we would love to hear from you.
How to credit the images
Please use the following format when sharing or using the artworks from this website:
Credit: Migraine Action Art Collection: Image 463, Unnamed artist, Untitled (1981). Available at http://www.migraineart.org.uk/artwork/untitled-386/.
Credit: Migraine Action Art Collection: Image 2000, Unnamed artist, ‘Agony Again’ (Date unknown). Available at http://www.migraineart.org.uk/artwork/agony-again/.
How to Order High-Resolution Images (available as 600 dpi JPEG or TIFF)
To apply for higher resolution images and/or any further uses of the images in Migraine Action’s art collection (e.g. in publications or for commercial use) beyond the Creative Commons licence, please contact the Wellcome Library.
Terms and Conditions
migraineart.org.uk (The Site) is owned and operated by Migraine Action Incorporated (Migraine Action) a charity registered in England and Wales no. 1152973 and in Scotland no. SC045820. These terms and conditions govern your use of the Site; by using the Site, you accept these terms and conditions in full. If you disagree with these terms and conditions or any part of these terms and conditions, you must not use the Site.
Unless otherwise stated, the copyright and any other rights on all material on the Site, created and supplied by or for Migraine Action, belongs to or is licensed to Migraine Action via the Wellcome Library.
You are permitted to print and download extracts from the Site on the following basis:
1) Free use of documents and related graphics is for information and/or personal use only under the terms of the Creative Commons license; copies of pages saved to disk or to any other storage medium may only be used for subsequent viewing purposes or to print extracts for personal us
2) Use of documents and related graphics for business or charitable use in any way shape or form is subject to prior written agreement of Migraine Action.
3) No documents, photographs or related graphics on Migraine Action site are to be modified in any way; graphics on the site are not to be used separately from the accompanying text and no part of the site may be reproduced or stored in any other website or included in any public or private electronic retrieval system or service without prior written permission from Migraine Action.
4) Any rights not expressly granted in these Terms are reserved.
Access to and use of the Site is provided by Migraine Action, subject to the following Terms and Conditions.
1) Use of the Site constitutes your acceptance of these Terms and Conditions, which take effect when you first use the Site. Migraine Action reserves the right to change these terms and conditions at any time by posting changes online.
2) Migraine Action will endeavour to ensure the site is available 24 hours a day, but will not be liable if for any reason the site is unavailable at any time or for any period.
3) Access to the Site may be suspended temporarily or permanently without notice.
4) Whilst Migraine Action undertakes to ensure the information on the Site is correct, no warranty, express or implied, is given as to its accuracy.
5) Migraine Action does not accept any liability for error or omission. Migraine Action shall not be liable for any damages (including, without limitation, damages for loss of business or loss of profits or consequential loss) arising in contract, tort or otherwise from the use of or inability to use the site, or any material contained in it, or from any action or decision taken as a result of using this site or any such material.
6) Migraine Action accepts no responsibility for the content of any site to which a hypertext link from the Site exists. Such links are provided for the user’s convenience on an “as is” basis with no warranty expressed or implied for the information provided within them.
7) You must not use the Site in any way that causes, or may cause, damage to the website or impairment of the availability or accessibility of the website; or in any way which is unlawful, illegal, fraudulent or harmful, or in connection with any unlawful, illegal, fraudulent or harmful purpose or activity.
8) You must not use our website to copy, store, host, transmit, send, use, publish or distribute any material which consists of (or is linked to) any spyware, computer virus, Trojan horse, worm, keystroke logger, rootkit or other malicious computer software.
9) You must not conduct any systematic or automated data collection activities (including without limitation scraping, data mining, data extraction and data harvesting) on or in relation to our website without our express written consent.
10) You must not use our website to transmit or send unsolicited commercial communications.
11) You must not use our website for any purposes related to marketing without our express written consent.
12) If any of these terms should be determined to be illegal, invalid or otherwise unenforceable by reason of the laws of any state or country in which these terms are intended to be effective, then to the extent and within the jurisdiction in which that term is illegal, invalid or enforceable, it shall be severed and deleted from the clause concerned and the remaining terms and conditions shall survive, remain in full force and effect and continue to be binding and enforceable.
13) By accessing any part of the site, the user is deemed to have accepted these Terms in full. These Terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law.
Many of the Site’s pages may use ‘cookies’. These are small text files that we place in your computer’s browser to store your preferences.
They do not tell us your email address or other personal information unless you choose to provide this information to us by, for example, registering for further information.
If you choose to provide personal information this may be linked to the data stored in the cookie. A cookie is unique to your computer and can only be read by the server that gave it to you.
You can configure your browser to accept all cookies or to alert you every time a cookie is offered by a website’s server. Most browsers automatically accept cookies.
You can set your browser option so that you will not receive cookies and you can also delete existing cookies from your browser. You may find that some parts of the site will not function properly if you have refused cookies. Please be aware that if you do not configure your browser you will accept cookies provided by this website.
‘Spam’ is unsolicited or indiscriminate messages. It is typically sent for a commercial purpose. Messaging systems on the Site automatically scan all incoming email [and other] messages and filter out messages that appear to be spam. Incoming email may be reported as spam. This can result in IP addresses and domain names being blacklisted.
Migraine Action takes the privacy of your information very seriously. By using the Site and any services we offer via the Site, you are agreeing to be bound by these terms and conditions. If you have any queries about them, please contact us via the Site or by telephone.
You do not need to provide personal information when visiting the Site and we will only store non-personal access information, such as the name of your Internet service provider and the page from which you are visiting. This information is only analysed for the purpose of improving our service.
Personal information is only collected if voluntarily provided. We will use the information you supply to complete and process your order but for no other purpose. Your details will be needed if you request a newsletter but this will include an ‘unsubscribe’ option.
The Site and other systems are secured against loss, destruction, access, modification or distribution by unauthorised persons through technical and organisational measures. Please keep your access information confidential, and close the browser window once communication with us has ended.
We aim to keep our information about you as accurate and up-to-date as possible. You can contact us to review these details and discuss how they are stored at any time. It is also your right to receive information free of charge about the data stored about your person, as well as a right to correction, blocking and deletion of this information if necessary. You may withdraw your consent at any time, with immediate effect.
27 East Street
Office Number: +00 44 (0)116 275 8317 (10:00 – 16:00 UK)